Sunday, January 24, 2010

Come Running...




Casey and I - along with 505 other women- had a wonderful and unique opportunity this weekend. At the beginning of 2009 we accepted a challenge by Beth Moore to memorize two scriptures each month. We were to log onto her blog, post our sriptures, write them on our notecards and, well, WORK HARD to memorize them. A few months later, Beth revealed her plans to celebrate the accomplishment by inviting anyone who memorized their verses to a special event at FBC Houston. Casey and I did it!! And we went!! Casey drove us to Houston; we settled in at the hotel, and we were off! That small group (honestly Beth's events are known to have upwards of 10,ooo+!!) met at the church Friday night and Saturday morning. Travis Cottrell leading worship and Beth Moore teaching - Now that is my idea of celebration!!


It was an amazing weekend of worship and learning at the feet of a true servant of God. We got to eat good food, have sweet girl time, laugh and cry together, meet many of our blogging friends face-to-face, and then to top it off for me, we had lunch before we left with Gina - truly one of my very dearest lifetime friends - and her sweet daughter Ashley. God truly blessed me with a wonderful weekend.


Now any of you who know us, know that Casey and I are Beth Moore groupies. SERIOUSLY. If she teaches it, we study it. If she recommends it, we try it. If she says it, we listen. If she invites us, we go! And we, of course, made sure that we were at the church early to be able to get a great seat. And we did!! Up close and personal with one whom I consider to be one of the most annointed teachers of our time. I mean that genuinely. She can bring the Word of God to life like few others can.


BUT - Friday night, during the event and even later as I tried to sleep I felt a certain uneasiness. I couldn't figure it out, but I couldn't seem to shake it. I woke up before 5 a.m. and as I lay there in the stillness and the quiet, I began to pray and ask God to reveal Himself to me so that I could understand what this nagging unrest was. He did. And it was so obvious. And it was so convicting. And it was so good. I needed it. IT was perspective. IT was priority. IT was this question posed by my God,
"So, how many of those women, including you, who are so quick to line up early and rush through the doors to see my servant are as quick to rush to sit at My feet?" Then He got really personal, "How many days do you literally drag yourself to your quiet place for an audience, not of 500 to 1, but 1 on 1, with Me - God Almighty, Lord of ALL?"

Ouch. That hurt. Actually it broke my heart. I confessed my sin before my God and arose that day forgiven and ready to start afresh, but the question continues to follow me. Honestly, any eyes that fall on these words, I hope it rattles YOU, too. We are so excited about so many things we go to see, people we hear, events we attend, and yet, our time with Him is often last on the list and often undone. Or even when done, as part of our 'routine' or done in a rush or half-heartedly. Never doubt, sweet one, that although He is unseen, He remains greater, more vast, and more powerful than anything that IS seen. My prayer tonight is that He would simply blow our minds with the overwhelming knowing of HIM - The Great I AM. Creator, Sustainer, Redeemer - HE IS EVERYTHING. Let's rush to Him. To await what He will tell us, to sit in His presence, to feel His good pleasure. Come running, sweet one. He is waiting with arms wide open!

17 comments:

Malinda said...

I'm so proud of you and your scripture memory. And how awesome to be a part of that. Thanks for sharing those thoughts about our audience of ONE. Hope you have a a great week.

Longmeadow Mama said...

Great post. I went through the same kind of thing Friday nite. When I was disappointed I didn't get to meet Ms Beth God dealt with me about being more excited about seeing her than Him. I confessed and was so ready for Sat. morning and couldn't have been more excited for HIM! And only Him! When my focus was where it needed to be, that's when He gave me the desires of my heart. And as I was leaving Sat. afternoon is when I got to meet Beth. God is incredible!
Thanks for sharing!
Kelli

Marla Taviano said...

Oh, Cindy. LOVED what you wrote at the end. So convicting.

I fell more in love with Jesus this weekend. And I can barely stand all the blessings He showered on me.

It was SO great to meet you!

Lisa said...

Don't you LOVE how He loves us! Constantly drawing our hearts and attention back to him where it belongs.

Your third paragraph could have been easily written by me. It was an honor to worship and study with you!

Blessings ~ Lisa

Barb said...

Thank you for sharing God's words - the ones He spoke thru Beth and the conviction He spoke to you! So truly appropriate!! A powerful reason to desire time with my Lord!!!

with love,
Barb

Leslie Young said...

Good stuff! God has been dealing with me about something similar. I think I love reading "about" God's Word more than actually reading God's Word. I often rely on other writers and thinkers to interpret the Scripture for me, rather than going straight to His Word and allowing His Spirit within me to teach and minister directly to my soul. We're working on that! Thanks for your honesty! I wish we could've spent a week there! I'd have loved to have met everyone!

Faran said...

Cindy,
Thanks for your complete honesty about God's message to you while in Houston. I was there, too.

He hit me with a similar thought a few weeks ago about how I let even small obstacles prevent my time with Him. My goodness, the lame man's friends in Luke 5 didn't let a crowd or even a roof get in the way of getting their friend in front of Jesus. I let much smaller things keep me from His presence.

Your exhortation is dead on "Let's rush to Him." Yes and thanks for the words.

vanilla143 said...

I was not part of this... at all... But WOW! What a word from God! Thank you for sharing so personally.

Toknowhim said...

Love what you shared...

Angela Baylis said...

I'm another sister in Christ who had a similar experience. I hope and Pray that all of the women there remember who deserves the glory. Keep pressing your verses deep within your heart. Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing openly and honestly.
Much love from Michigan!
Angie xoxo

Tesa said...

You blog was very convicting to me. As you said, Ouch!! I think I am going to have to print this out and post it somewhere that I can see it on a daily basis. Let 2010 be the year that we give the first fruits of our day to God!!!
Tesa
tesa@comsouth.net
Georgia

Amanda May said...

Amen, sister!!

I felt the very same way, and wrote a very similar post today. God is so good, and so faithful to redirect us when we get running in the wrong direction!! So glad you were blessed! :)

sister sheri said...

Thank you so much for sharing your private moment with the Lord! Yes... it rattles me... and I loved that Beth directed us back to a love of His word!

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet!

God's blessings! (thanks for stopping by theleakingwindow)

Anonymous said...

It was sooo good to meet you!! Thanks so much for your sweet post on my blog!!

I am going to be a guest speaker on Tricia Goyer's radio show "Living Inspired" this Thursday, Jan.28th 4-5 EST!! Margaret McSweeney will be the guest host!! I would love to have you listen in...there is even a time where you can call in and ask questions!! I would LOVE to hear from you while on air!! This could be pretty interesting as it is a LIVE show....and well, if you know me, you just never know how a LIVE show with me will go!! There won't be a dull moment I can promise you that!!

Click HERE to listen in....or if that time doesn't work for you, then come at your convenience and listen to the podcast!!

Hope you can make it :)

Laura_Primus said...

Thank you for your openness and honesty. I, too, had similar thoughts. I didn't get to meet Beth and, though, I am still bummed, I realized on Sunday morning God didn't bring me to Houston all the way from CA to meet Beth but to learn from His Word and meet Him there. And, though, I really enjoyed Beth's teaching on Friday and Saturday, the Word God had specifically for me was from Pastor Greg of Houston's First Baptist. His sermon seemed just for me. God sometimes surprises me like that - I go somewhere or do something for one reason and walk away seeing that God had other plans!!

Blessings to you,
Laura

Mary Vigil said...

Cindy - I have to first tell you that you have the cutest hair cut - I might just have to copy it - I love it! Okay, now back to Jesus, what a great post, what a great weekend, what a great feeling it is to know that I spent some time in the Word with women who just love Him and that is fabulous.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a great post...and a convicting one. I so wanted to be at the Siesta event but we had planned a family vacation for the same week. I have loved reading all your posts.